Monday 23 March 2009

WRITING THE ALBUM

So..throughout 2008 I wrote and recorded my forthcoming album. My journey took me to Nashville, LA, London, Surrey, Sweden, Paris and Nantes. It was an amazing experience one that I documented and now for the first time I'm posting up my experiences to share with you. So tune in to catch the installments. Here is Diary of a Diva..

Saturday March 1st 2008 – 9 am bedroom 836 Vanderbilt plaze, Nashville
I'm in bed, in Nashville. Why am I here, well I’m here on a two week writing session with every top nashvillian writer and I’ve moved into my hotel and got my groove on immediately. This is now my home from home. And with it being my first time round. I can tell you that it’s all new and exciting. I know there will be times when I’m bored and lonely but hopefully the breakfasts in bed will make up for that feeling.

I’m aiming on selling at least million records first album and although I sit in my hotel room trying to imagine what that might take in terms of the pace of my life I’m still finding it hard to consume.

My life in the last 3 months has turned around completely and I’d like to thank god for that. I’m still at that stage whereby similarly when you move into a new house and you have that feeling that you are living in someone else’s home which can last for up to at least 6 months, I feel as if I’m living someone else’s life and keep wondering when it is I’ll have to go back to becoming a gigging harpist and singing teacher again! I hope never I’m going to work hard every step of the way!

I’ve decided to blow off the gym to day and got to a gospel church service instead.

Sunday, March 2nd – 2008 10.30pm – The Kindness of Strangers



Today I experienced the kindness of strangers. Several years ago I found myself sitting in a choir, the Christ church choir here in Nashville singing as one of them in their rehearsal. It was an experience I never forgot and I have lived with their cd for many years since. And so this morning I took myself off to the Christ church filled with excitement, and a little nerves. I was awe struck at the size if this gigantic building that looks more like the barbican centre rather than a church. They really have this church thing down here in the Bible belt.

I entered the main sanctuary, as they like to call and gave freely my mind with an open heart the words of the pastor, and the songs of the choir. A lovely lady called Debbie next to me welcomed me and told me to sit a little nearer to her. Strangely we were matching both wearing a khaki green and brown with bronze makeup. must be a sign I though!

Half way through the service the pastor invited two members of the congregation are invited on to the stage to sing a song which he declares had ‘touched him’ . At which point this elderly couple got up on stage (the size of Wembley arena almost!) The man played piano and sang and the wife sang with him. They started to sing ‘Come…… heavenly father , come… ‘ .. it was like going back in time.. back to the days when gospel music stood for freedom from slavery, the anguish in one’s soul reflected in their voice.. it was the most beautiful and professional one off performance I’ve ever experienced. .. I was in awe and shock! I later told Debbie how lucky they were to have that… I kept imagining,, that situation in London. Imagine - a Charles and Debbie from Chiswick getting up and singing some awful take of Panis Angelicus or the Ave Verum.. with the English congregation sitting silently throughout and after. Just made me laugh the thought of it!

I later went on to make friends with Debbie and Howard who were two of the nicest people I ‘ve ever met. They invited me out to lunch with their 16 year old daughter her cousin and several other teenagers. They paid for me and made me feel so at home. Later I went to their local village of Franklin and hung out with their beautiful daughter heather and her equally as gorgeous cousin Mariah. We spent our time browsing the shops and looking at the houses. Franklin looks like a toy town. Very quaint!

Later on we met up with Debbi and she took me back to my hotel. At least a 30 minute drive out of her way. The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze me.. I’m overwhelmed by it that all I want to do is return it. Perhaps I may never have the chance with them but it’s reminder to us all to be kind to foreigners in our city rather than just ignore them and treat them with disdain. Pay it forward!

1 comment:

  1. "I’m still at that stage whereby similarly when you move into a new house and you have that feeling that you are living in someone else’s home which can last for up to at least 6 months, I feel as if I’m living someone else’s life..." Once, no twice, I had such a feeling too, and it lasted indeed aprox. 1/2 year. But there was also the feeling of tranqullity and liberty, no rush, no compromises, just my inner self and the new apartment.

    If you come by my comment and have the chance to see my blog, it's in Romanian and about Foreign Policy, especially for my fellow Romanians. Since you are so devoted to art, I'm pretty sure Foreign Policy is not your hobby at all, so you did not miss much :-)

    ReplyDelete